Dry Eye Management at Optimax
Your Consultation at Optimax
The Dry Eye consultation is free. A refundable deposit is payable to secure your appointment. To book your appointment, please call 0800 093 1110.
What is Dry Eye Syndrome?
Also known as Dry Eye Disease (DED), Dry Eye Syndrome (DES) occurs when the eyes are not producing enough tears, or when tears evaporate too rapidly. When this happens, the eyes can dry out or become swollen.
What causes Dry Eye Syndrome?
This condition can occur when the tear production process is disturbed in some way. There are a host of possible causes for this, although a single definitive cause is rarely identified.
What are common causes of this condition?
- Contact lens use
- Continued exposure to a hot or windy climate
- Pre-existing eye conditions such as blepharitis (inflammation of the lids) or meibomianitis (inflammation of the oil producing glands)
- Pre-existing medical conditions such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriasis, Thyroid eye disease, Sjoren’s syndrome.
- Side effects from certain medications.
- Hormonal change, for instance menopause.
Who does Dry Eye Syndrome affect?
It can affect people of all ages, however up to a third of those aged 65 and above may have Dry Eye Syndrome, and the condition is more common amongst women.
- Sensation of dryness, grittiness or soreness which worsens throughout the day
- Mild sensitivity to light
- Slightly blurred vision
- Typically both eyes are affected
What treatment for Dry Eye Syndrome is used at Optimax ?
An Optometrist will recommend treatment according to the severity of your Dry Eye condition, and may vary or combine treatments according to the results achieved.
Typically, treatment will begin with Lifestyle adjustment advice in conjunction with lid therapy and artificial tear/gel supplements.
Depending on the success of this treatment approach, your Optometrist may then recommend:
- Punctum Plugs (either permanent or semi-permanent)
- Anti - Inflammatory medication
If your Dry Eye condition is more acute, you may be recommended MiBo ThermofloTM treatment. This is a non-invasive solution which can relieve Dry Eye Syndrome.
Benefits of MiBo ThermofloTM
- Painless, comfortable procedure
- Can provide immediate relief from Dry Eyes
- No side effects
- Affordable solution
What can I expect from Dry Eye Management Treatment at Optimax?
- A comprehensive consultation and eye examination
- Assessment of your dry eye condition
- Recommended treatment plan to effectively manage your condition
- Monitoring your progress at follow-up appointments
How long will it take to remedy my Dry Eye condition?
The time it takes to return your eyes to their normal state will vary according to the severity of your Dry Eye condition. In some cases this may take time but we will make every effort to manage your symptoms successfully.
Where can I have this treatment?
There are currently two specialist Dry Eye Clinics to choose from in London and Leeds. There will be more Dry Eye Clinics coming to other cities around the UK.
London Dry Eye Clinic
Optimax Eye Specialists
128 Finchley Road
London, NW3 5HT
Leeds Dry Eye Clinic
Optimax Eye Specialists
147 The Headrow
Leeds, LS1 5RB
Learn more about Dry Eye
To learn more about dry eye causes, symptoms and treatments visit our dedicated dry eye website: www.dryeyeclinics.co.uk